Ah the illusive perfect smoky eye. There’s a fine line between sultry goddess and chimney sweep, but we’ve got the industry insider scoop on exactly how to achieve the look.
Julie Caulfield has made up the faces of Westlife, Deep Purple (yes really), Katherine Thomas and Mairead Farrell to name but a few and she’s also the resident makeup artist on RTE’s The Voice and The Movie Show … so we’re in good hands!
Here are Julie’s five steps to the perfect sexy smoky eye. Easy peasy.
- Fill in the entire socket area (the part under your brow bone) with a neutral base colour – shimmer or matt, it’s up to you.
- Gradually build up the colour, switching from eye to eye so they’re both even, keeping the inside of the eye lighter. This will really help to open up the eye.
- Using a skinny flat brush, fill shadow into the lower lash line. Again, start with a lighter colour for the inner part and build to a darker shade for the outside. Keep cotton buds handy for any mistakes.
- Start to build more black into the outer corner. Then blend by running a completely clean, soft brush along the outside line of the already applied eyeshadow. This will give you that soft, smudged look.
- Line the top lash using Inglot AMC Eyeliner gel in black and MAC’s no. 266 angled liner brush. Twist the brush as you get to the outside of the eye to create a flattering flick. Use a soft black pencil to fill in the lower waterline. Add mascara (and some false lashes if you wish) and voila, you are ready to go!
Julie is offering special one-on-one makeup master class for €120 where you will learn about contouring, eye make-up techniques, eyeliner and false lash application, foundation choice and application. There is also the option of a 6 hour course for €250 or group classes with your mates. Sounds good to us!